Great post from dietetic intern Suvosree Chatterjee. She was with me for a couple of days this week and dishes up some cool snack ideas for summer!
How many of you get up in the morning with the thought of what to pack for your kid’s snack at school? Yes, it is very hard to choose a healthy snack every day. But, the school year is almost done. Summer vacation is starting! Yah–! What a relief! Actually, it is going to be more difficult to provide a good snack while kids are at home, watching TV, drinking juice, soda, slushes, eating ice cream, popsicles, potato chips, cookies– what not!
Moms, please don’t freak out; snacking is not bad. Every day, we need to snack at least two times to maintain a good health; once, in the mid –morning (between breakfast and lunch), and again in the afternoon, (between lunch and dinner).
To make mom’s job easier, here are some healthy snack ideas.
- Make your own trail mix with the foods your kids like; raisins, nuts, cereals, dried fruits, yogurt chips (or few chocolate chips), pretzels, goldfish, granola.
- Low fat yogurt
- Apple slices or graham crackers with peanut butter spread on them
- String cheese and nuts
- Baby carrots with hummus dip
- English muffin pizzas
- Grapes and cheese
- Apple sauce
- Fruit cups
- Celery sticks with hummus dip
- Animal crackers or vanilla wafers with a glass of milk
- Hummus on pita breads
- Fruits and smoothie
- Cheese and pineapple cubes
- Pudding made with low fat milk
- Fruits with custard
- Fruit and veggie platter with yogurt dip
- Cheese and tomato slices
- Watermelon platter
- Cereal and yogurt
Encourage kids to drink lots of water to keep them hydrated in the summer. Along with good foods, regular physical exercise is very important to keep kids healthy.