I grew up in a hiking family, I think I was about 7 when I hiked Camel Back Mountain in Vermont (in winter!). I also haven’t had a gym membership in 5 years, which means I get all my exercise outside. That’s why I think that getting outdoors is the best way to stay fit and have fun family-time!
Explore your local parks and hiking trails – there are some great ones in Rhode Island. I just posted the Rhode Island Great Outdoors Pursuit to my facebook page – check it out! Your kids will love all the adventure Rhode Island parks have to offer from rock climbing to kayaking, hiking, bird and seal watching, bike riding and fishing!
You can also follow the links below and get more ideas for how to get active at home. Keeping an activity chart keeps kids (and adults) motivated. Let this summer be the summer of fitness for your family!
Sample Moving More Tips:
• Go for a half-hour walk instead of watching TV.
• Take the stairs instead of the escalator.
• Acknowledge your efforts with non-food related rewards, such as a family day at the park, lake, or zoo.
• Use a family activity planner to make time each day for activity.
• Do something physically active with your kids each day. Take a walk, play tag, or simply dance around the house to your favorite tunes.
• Make new friends that share your interests. Sign up for a fitness program at your local recreation or community center and meet others with similar fitness goals.
• Meet a friend for workouts. Working out with a friend may help you stay on track and encourage you to challenge yourself.
We Can! Make Physical Activity Fun
We Can! Try Tips to Eat Well and Move More