Hello! It’s been a while and after Thanksgiving is a great time to think about getting back on track. I whipped this up for a quick and healthy weeknight meal.
Chicken Sausage, Peppers and Onion Sandwiches
1 package of Sweet Italian Chicken Sausage
1 red pepper, sliced
1 green pepper, sliced
1/2 yellow onion, sliced
1 jar of tomato sauce
whole wheat grinder rolls
1. Saute vegetable in a small bit of olive oil. I added red pepper flakes here because I like spicy foods.
2. Cut a slit lengthwise across the top of the sausages.
3. Cook the sausages with the vegetables until heated through.
4. Add the tomato sauce and let simmer.
5. Slice the whole wheat grinder rolls.
6. Serve 1 sausage with pepper and onions in a roll. Top with parmesean cheese.
7. Serve with steamed broccoli on the side.
Chicken sausage is fully cooked, so you just need to heat it through and it’s a lean source of protein. The peppers and onions are masked nicely by the sauce for those picky eaters in your bunch. Whole wheat rolls are easy to find in the market these days – make the switch, they’ll eat it!